The Perfect World Foundation’s campaign “Save The Ocean” aims to stop the ongoing destruction of our oceans, each year more than 8 billion kg of plastic ends up in our oceans, and in year 2050 it is predicted that there will be more plastic than fish in the oceans.
Facts about the ocean;
- 8 billion kg of plastic in the ocean every year.
- Year 2050 it will be more plastic than fish in the ocean.
- 70% of our planet is ocean.
- 70% of our oxygen is produced by the oceans.
- 1.000.000 seabirds die annually of plastic in the ocean.
- 21 million barrels of oil ends up in the ocean annually (factories, cars, cleaning of tanks…).
- 600,000 barrels of oil ends up in the ocean annually due to accidents.
- 60% of the world’s coral reefs are seriously threatened and chances are that everything is gone within 30 years.
- 3.5 billion people subsist on the ocean today, and in 20 years it may be 7 billion.
- 90% reduction of large fish such as swordfish, tuna, etc. during the past 10 years
- 100 million sharks are killed each year mainly for shark fin soup.